Mr. H Abdur Raqeeb
Mr. H Abdur Raqeeb is the General Secretary of Indian Centre for Islamic Finance (icif.in), member of Central Advisory Council (Markazi Majlise Shu’ra) of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind and editor of a fortnightly magazine. Mr. Raqeeb is an eminent authority behind the development of Islamic financial activities in India. He is also associated with various other foundations and committees.
- General Secretary, Indian Centre for Islamic Finance.
- Convenor, National Committee on Islamic Banking.
- Member, All India Muslim Personal Law board.
- Executive Member, Jamaat e Islami Hind.
- President, Islami Baithul Maal, Chennai.
- Member, Human Welfare Foundation, New Delhi.
- Trustee, Sahulat Microfinance, New Delhi.
- General Secretary, Islamic Foundation Trust, Chennai.
- Senior Advisor, WealthCity (Islamic Investments), Chennai.
Islamic finance and banking-related activities
- Interacted with Finance Minister of India, Governor of RBI, Deputy Governor of RBI and Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission to introduce the concept of Islamic banking in India.
- Prepared, along with experts, a bill for amendment of Banking Regulations to be introduced in the parliament as a private members bill.
- Prepared a proposal, along with experts, for Interest free windows along with conventional banks and submitted to RBI and Finance Ministry.
- Interacted with high level committee on financial sector reforms headed by Dr Raghuram Rajan of Planning Commission of India and discussed about interest free banking.
- Highlighted in media about the need and relevance of Islamic Finance and Banking in India.
- He visited many countries to study the working methodology of Islamic banks and led a delegation of businessmen from Chennai to Malaysia.
- Attended several conferences in and outside India including:
- World Islamic Banking Conference at Bahrain
- IDB – Islamic finance conference on Sukuk in London, UK
- Red Money road show in Malaysia
- International Muslim Business Conference, Istanbul, Turkey
- Chairman of the committee which organized an international conference on Islamic banking conducted by Al Jamia Al islamiya in association with Islamic Research and Training Institute of Islamic Development Bank (www.isifk.com).